Eat*Drink*Cleveland

A hungry girl's adventures in Cleveland and beyond.

Beer Week Slow Cooker Feast

This weekend I purchased some sauerkraut and am going to be picking up a pork roast and some kielbasa.  I've been craving this dish all week!  It's perfect for the cooler temps and the falling leaves.  This morning I came across a blog that features a very similar recipe.  So I figured this was a hint to post another recipe for Beer Week.


So we are fully into Cleveland Beer Week 2011!  The events all sound fabulous and lots of good quality beer is being consumed all over town.  This is another recipe that incorporates your favorite brew, but gives you something substantial to nosh on.


This one comes from the Brown Eyed Baker.  It's easier for me to tell you how I make mine and use her very nicely typed up recipe because they are so close.  Plus, they you will have two versions to choose from!


I've made my version of this dish for years.  I use 1/2 cup brown sugar when I make it because I like my kraut tangy.  In addition, I chop up one apple and add it the slow cooker.  Finally, I cook some gnocchi and toss them in once everything is cooked instead of serving this on a bun.  They are a nice change from the typical potatoes and give the dish a nice chewiness.  



Beer and Brown Sugar Kielbasa & Sauerkraut
Yield: About 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Bake Time: 4 to 8 hours
12 ounces beer (can or bottle)

1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)

3 pounds polish kielbasa
1 bag (or jar) sauerkraut (32 ounces), drained

1. Combine the beer and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, until the sugar melts and the mixture is slightly thickened; set aside.
2. Cut the kielbasa into links and place in a slow cooker. Cover with the drained sauerkraut. Pour the beer and brown sugar mixture over top. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours, or on low for 8 to 10 hours. 
3. Serve on its own or on your favorite sandwich roll.

This is my favorite type of recipe - fast, easy and really versatile.  You can add or subtract ingredients to taste. Try adding a pork loin to the mix and some chunks of potatoes.  Any way you make it, it's great to come home to a house smelling like dinner and all you have to do is sit down and ENJOY!


Check out the original post from the Brown Eyed Baker here.