Eat*Drink*Cleveland

A hungry girl's adventures in Cleveland and beyond.

Eggplant Chips

Tuesday is garbage day on my street so Monday is a busy day in the kitchen.  I always go through my fridge to toss out lost leftovers and other surprises that I find buried under a pile of veggies and cheese.

I also use this day to clean and prep fruits and veggies. My CSA pick up is Friday, so whatever I didn't get to over the weekend gets done. This week the fridge was crazier than normal because I stocked up on sweet corn this weekend - the season is wrapping up and I likely won't get anymore of our local crop. When I took the 19(!) ears out of my overstuffed fridge, I found a sad little eggplant that I forgot about. It was tiny and a little wrinkled so I knew I needed to cook it tonight or toss it.
eggplant

I'm so glad I opted to save it. I decided to make eggplant chips and they were incredible! I ate half of them already and am wishing that my eggplant was a lot bigger.

They're super easy to make - here's how:

Preheat grill (medium high) or oven (425°).

Slice the eggplant as thin as possible. I kept mine whole and made circles.  If your eggplant is a jumbo one, I would cut it in 1/2 lengthwise and make half circles.

Place the slices on a lightly oiled cookie sheet (use extra virgin olive oil for flavor.)

Brush the tops with more olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt, lots of pepper, some garlic powder, a dash of cayenne and some herbs. I used an Italian seasoning blend. Za'atar is another delicious option.

Transfer slices of eggplant to non-stick mats on grill. Or you can leave them on the cookie sheet and bake at 425° for about 10 minutes. Flip and brush with a little more olive oil and bake for another 10 minutes.

You'll need to check on the and adjust the time as needed. It depends on how thinly they are sliced them and how crispy you like them. I like them when they are slightly browned, chewy and a little crisp.

How easy is that? Try 'em! They are so good and good for you. I'm not a huge eggplant fan normally because it always seems to be breaded, fried and made into eggplant parmesan. This is simpler, healthier and delicious. Vegetarian, gluten free and perfect for Meatless Monday!


P.S. Here's another eggplant recipe that sounds dee-lish!  I think I might need to get another eggplant for this one.  It uses thick slices of eggplant instead of bread for bruschetta.  From the Smitten Kitchen.