Eat*Drink*Cleveland

A hungry girl's adventures in Cleveland and beyond.

#TweetGoneWild

So some days are full of surprises, today was one of those. Last night, after having a fabulous dinner with my friend and her daughter who are visiting from Charlotte, I Tweeted about the service we received at one of my very favorite restaurants, Luxe


It's one of my go-to spots and I was eager to take my guests there, especially since it was the perfect night to sit on their perfect patio. During our dinner, our server was kind of distracted and wasn't exactly doing a great job. Thankfully we weren't in a hurry so it wasn't a big deal. We had lots of catching up and talking to do. 


The craziness started when our waiter went to serve my friend's daughter her first slice of pizza and dropped it on the table. He picked it up and put it on her plate saying it "hit the napkin" and was ok. He then went on to tell us that he had Ninja Pizza Skills. The kid didn't care if the pizza hit the table or the napkin and we just laughed about it. 




A few minutes later, we heard a loud crash at another table closer to the bar. A different waiter dropped some glasses right next to another couple. We know the lady got wet and think that she got cut by the glass too. I have since asked my friend's daughter if she SAW the cut or just ASSUMED and she did not actually see it. Anyways, while we felt bad for the lady, we thought the night was getting crazy and I Tweeted
"Servers gone wild at "
(sorry that I can't figure out how to copy the actual Tweet but that's it.)


With that, I learned a very valuable lesson. Context is VERY hard to convey in 140 characters. While we had a great night and thoroughly enjoyed our meal, this was not obvious to people reading the Tweet. And when I re-read it now, I see how the "#badservice" really makes it sound like we were upset with our experience. For the record, we loved our meal - in spite of the craziness that was happening with the servers. And maybe it even made it more fun because we got A LOT of laughs out of that pizza ninja comment!


And why am I bothering to tell all of you this? First of all - to make sure that the whole story is out there. 140 characters makes it nearly impossible to communicate a complex story. The humorous part of the story was never explained in detail in the subsequent Tweets. Second, because I feel terrible about possibly upsetting my friends at Luxe. Luxe is now, and has always been, one of my favorite spots in Cleveland. Especially now that Chef Brian Okin is at the helm. And thirdly, to hopefully help any of you avoid the same mistake I made. Next time I'll be sure to word my Tweets more carefully.


Thank you to my kind friends and followers who brought my misstep to my attention. We all make mistakes and they made sure they didn't make an otherwise bad situation worse. And for those that I upset or offended with my Tweet, I hope that this clears the air.