Eat*Drink*Cleveland

A hungry girl's adventures in Cleveland and beyond.

It Was a Weekend to Remember

So I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend! Mine was one of the craziest and most fun I can remember having in a long time. We started out on Turkey Eve heading to my favorite Cambodian restaurant, Mekong River. Got my usual obsession Red Tom Kha Kai soup and Mekong String Beans and I was in heaven! Also tried a sake bomb for the first time. This reminded me of the college years and perfecting the Flaming Dr. Pepper...


Wisely, I only did two because I didn't want to negatively impact my ability to eat to excess on my very favorite holiday of the year - Thanksgiving!  This year there were over 40 people!  Aunt Nina made 15 pounds of mashed potatoes and that didn't include the several pounds of sour cream, butter, cream cheese and eggs she includes in the decadent side dish.  
Friday was Erin and Ante's rehearsal dinner at the Pine Ridge Country Club. The food was great (they even managed to make tasty cavatelli) and I discovered a refreshing new cocktail -  a mixture of vodka and cranberry and orange juices. There was a really fun sounding wedding going on upstairs that got everyone even more in the mood for the next day's wedding. Surprisingly, they had some sort of team mascot (some sort of cat - I think a tiger) in attendance and we were all trying to figure out a way to sneak upstairs and join their party.


Saturday was the big day and what a gorgeous day it was! Who would have thought we would have 60+ degrees and sunshine in late November! Over 400 people celebrated the marriage of Ante and Erin! It was my first Croatian wedding and I was super happy that the tradition of bringing homemade pastries carried over from the bridal shower. There were two huge tables overflowing with all sorts of sweets. Another tradition is to do a shot of homemade plum brandy called slivovitz. STRONG but not too bad. I learned how to say Cheers in Croation -  Nazdravlje!(Naz-dra-vlee) The bride was gorgeous and the ceremony was beautiful.  
Everyone danced the night away and visited the photo booth a few times...
Sunday finally was a day of rest and relaxation.  And cooking!  


Stay tuned for a hearty fall stew perfect for the cooler weather.