Eat*Drink*Cleveland

A hungry girl's adventures in Cleveland and beyond.

Turning to Jerks to Restore Allure of Soda Fountains - NYTimes.com

Turning to Jerks to Restore Allure of Soda Fountains - NYTimes.com

An old fashioned soda fountain has always been one of my very favorite things! Growing up, my first experience with a soda fountain was at the Mantua Pharmacy.  I was delighted to discover that Coke could be flavored!  This was obviously back in the Stone Ages before Cherry Coke and other flavors were available at the grocery stores in cans and plastic bottles.  My favorite was the chocolate Coke - what a treat!  Believe it or not, there is still a soda fountain presence in my hometown.  The Pharmacy moved and is now Mantua Station Drug which is noted not only for their soda fountain, but also for the train caboose out front.

Glad to see that more people are  realizing how awesome the old fashioned soda fountains are!  Some of my local favorites are the Malley's in Lakewood and a gorgeous newcomer - Sweet Moses in Gordon Square.   Both are a combination of ice cream and sweet shop with candy, popcorn, fudge and other treats available.  Sweet Moses also has bananas foster ice cream which you have to try.  If you are afraid to order a whole scoop, they will give you a taste.  Homemade hot fudge is available at both - taste them both and see which is your favorite.  I can't seem to make up my mind so I just have to keep going back and taste testing them over and over...






http://www.sweetmosestreats.com/about.html
http://www.malleys.com/Location.aspx